Private candidates

Private Candidates pursue a course of study independently but take an examination and/or assessment at an approved WJEC examination centre (school or college). Private candidates are responsible for making appropriate arrangements with a school or college that is prepared to:


(a) make the necessary examination accommodation available and;

(b) conduct, supervise, mark and authenticate any non-examination units/components


Private candidates should find a school/college before they start their studies. We can only accept entries for candidates who have an arrangement in place.


JCQ has published a list of centres which will accept private candidates for GCSEs, AS and A Level. You can however work with any centre that accepts private candidate entries, they do not have to be on the list. If you experience difficulty locating a school/college in your area, we would advise that you contact your Local Education Authority for advice.


Further information relating to the procedures for private candidates can be found in this booklet.


Private candidates can access past exam papers and mark schemes on each qualification’s webpage. If the most recent paper and mark scheme has not been published, please contact your entering centre to ask if they can provide you with the most recent paper and mark scheme to assist with your revision. If your entering centre is unable to provide you with the paper, please email