Retail Business Level 1 / 2 Award and Certificate
The Level 1/2 Vocational Award in Retail Business has been approved for the DfE 2021 and 2022 performance tables and will remain available to centres.
Withdrawal of WJEC Level 1/2 Vocational Certificates
The Level 1/2 certificate qualification is being withdrawn with effect from summer 2020. Centres may continue to deliver the Level 1/2 award qualification
Unit 3 – for summer 2020, centres have a choice whether to use the original scenario and task (ElaR), or the new scenario (JJ’s). For summer 2021 onwards, centres must use the new scenario (JJ’S).
The Level 1 / 2 Award in Retail Business (QAN - 600/8330/X) and the Level 1 / 2 Certificate in Retail Business (QAN - 601/3215/2) introduce learners to one of the most important employment sectors in the UK, exploring various aspects of retail business and investigating a range of retailers from large chains and department stores through to independent and virtual stores.
Statements of Purpose
- Retail Business Level 1 / 2 Structure of Qualification
- Retail Business Level 1 / 2 Award Specification
- Retail Business Level 1 / 2 Certificate Specification
- Specimen Assessment Materials
- Model Assignments (summative assessment briefs)- available to download from the secure website. Please go to Resources PDF Download > Controlled Assessment Materials.
- NEW! Unit 1, Unit 3, Unit 5 and Unit 6 model assignments have been amended for assessment from 2016. The model assignments are available to download from the secure website and contain additional learner guidance and expanded assessor guidance.
- Frequently asked questions - Wales
- Frequently asked questions - England
- Grade boundary information
The unit 4 external assessment will be available for centres to download from 1st May each year, in the Question Paper section of the secure site.
Continuing Professional Development
CPD material from previous events is now available to download from the secure website. Please go to Resources PDF Download > CPD Materials > Level 1 & 2 Retail Business
In addition to resources already recommended in the Teachers' Guides
- John Lewis Retail Report 2015 http://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/content/JohnLewis/jl_retail_report_2015_151015pdf
Various TV shows
Robert Preston Goes shopping (BBC) 2015
Mary Portas Secret Shopper (C4) 2015 and 2011
Mary Portas Queen of the High Street (C4)2013
Mary, Queen of shops BBC 2007-2010
Pound Shop Wars (BBC) 2015
Greggs: More than Meats the Pie(SKY) 2013-2015
Amazon's Retail Revolution (BBC) 2013
For further information, please contact:
Subject OfficerStephen Oliver
029 2240 4257
Subject Support OfficerClare Williams
029 2240 4257
Upcoming CPD Events
Level 1 and 2 Retail Business Examiners' Report Summer 2019Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2019 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.