GCSE Physics Examiners' Report January 2016Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The 2016 Principal Examiners' Report, providing feedback on the 2016 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Sciences qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
For centres in Wales: Approved WJEC GCSE Science suite (for teaching from 2016)
WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE Science suite of qualifications, regulated by Qualifications Wales, for teaching from 2016. The qualifications meet regulatory requirements in Wales and have been approved by Qualifications Wales: They are not available to centres in England.
|Science (Double Award)|
|Applied Science (Double Award) GCSE|
|Applied Science (Single Award) GCSE|
|Entry Level Science|
Specification overview video
Helen Francis, Domain Leader for GCSE Science, explains the new specifications for first teaching in 2016 (Wales centres only). The Specimen Assessment Materials are also covered in depth.
For centres in England: WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Combined Science (for teaching from 2016)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC is developing GCSE (9-1) Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Combined Science qualifications, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2016. These qualifications are designed to meet regulatory requirements in England. The specifications and resources can be found on the Eduqas website.
- CPD - We are holding preparing to teach courses for the new GCSE Science specifications. The sessions will provide more detailed support as you prepare to teach the qualifications. There will be an opportunity to network with subject specialists. All events are free of charge. Please book here. Preparing to teach
- Controlled Assessment Tasks for 2015-16 - The new tasks for WJEC GCSE Science A / Additional Science / Biology / Chemistry / Physics are now available on the secure website. As last year they may be found in the Controlled Assessments folder in the Resources pdf folder.
- Online examination review - This resource allows you to analyse results and identify strengths and weaknesses. Key questions have been selected for each unit from the Summer 2014 series and exemplar pupil responses provided, along with feedback from the principal examiner.
- GCSE Science controlled assessment CPD videos and linked resources - Videos are now available for Science A and Additional Science / Biology / Chemistry / Physics. Both videos provide detailed feedback on key findings from the moderation process in summer 2013 and include linked resources.
- Resources are available on the WJEC Digital Educational Resources website.
- To view a list of terms in Welsh to support the GCSE Science specifications, click on the links below. For more information click 'Cymraeg' at the top of this page. Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- Please follow this link to find Raw / UMS grade boundaries
- A selection of GCSE Science A Resources
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
Grade Boundaries (UMS / Raw Marks)
For further information, please contact:
Liane Adams - Biology Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5126
Jonathan Owen - Chemistry Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5057
Helen Francis - Domain leader(Maths & Science)/Physics Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5081
Llinos Wood - Applied Science Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5384
Matthew Roberts - GCE Chemistry/Physics/Biology Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5380
Gareth Summerill - GCSE Science
Telephone: 029 2026 5140
Sarah Price - GCSE Science B/Applied Science/Additional Applied Science & GCE Applied Science Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5103