Modern Languages (QCF)
WJEC offers a suite of QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) language qualifications which provide learners with formal accreditation for demonstrating language learning competence.
The languages which are currently available:
New languages available from September 2014:
- Russian (Entry 3)
- Cornish (Entry 3)
WJEC also offers a range of Modern Foreign Language qualifications at GCSE and A level.
This qualification is available at:
- Entry Level (3)
- Level 1
- Level 2
The qualifications consist of individual units. These units cover 5 key themes:
- Communicating Personal Information
- Social Activities
- Organising and Planning
- Giving and Receiving Information and Instructions
- Education and Employment
The units are available as spoken communication (understanding and speaking) at all levels and written communication (reading and writing) at Levels 1 and 2.
Learners can combine different themes, skills and levels according to their needs.
Each unit is worth 1 credit and represents approximately 10 guided learning hours.
(NB. Non-Roman script written units are worth 2 credits and approximately 20 guided learning hours)
Who can take the units?
These qualifications are ideal for engaging a whole range of learners and are particularly suitable in the following settings:
- Primary school language learners
- KS3 pupils including those who are starting a second foreign language
- Lunchtime or afterschool language clubs
- College students involved in vocational courses
- Lifelong learning classes
Benefits of WJEC's Language Units
- No exams - focus is on building confidence in communicating in the foreign language
- Flexible units mix and match skills, themes and levels according to learners' needs
- Positive assessment method - learners demonstrate what you "can do" with your language skills
- Ideal for building confidence and engaging learners
- Provide formal recognition for initial language learning
- Programmes of study can be tailored to individual learning needs and vocational training courses
- Units can be delivered and assessed through a variety of contexts including social or work based scenarios
Each unit is internally assessed and externally moderated.
Centres can enter candidates' evidence in the January or June series of moderation each year.
Continuing Professional Development
We offer an extensive range of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses for teachers and tutors to support the teaching of this qualification.
CPD courses available
|Dates 2016 - 2017||Location||Booking|
|Tuesday 4 October||Cardiff||Book Now|
|Tuesday 11 October||London||Book Now|
|Thursday 20 October||Manchester||Book Now|
- A wide range of teaching materials are available free of charge via the WJEC Resources Website
- WJEC offers a free Online Exam Review to assess item level data and question papers
- Further resources can be found through our online Shop
Registering as a WJEC Centre
To offer this qualification, you will need to register as an approved WJEC centre.
Visit WJEC's Entries page or by contacting our dedicated Centre Registrations Team:
Telephone: 029 2026 5077
For further information, please contact:
Claire Parry - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5402