Media Studies GCSE
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Media Studies qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
The current specification is assessed by examination (40%) and by work internally assessed and externally moderated (60%).
Summer 2016 GCSE Resource Material Format (16 March 2016)
The format of the resource material for use in the Summer 2016 GCSE Media Studies Unit 1 (4391) examination will be audio-visual.
Ofqual consultation on GCSE/AS and A level Media Studies - England Only (1 March 2016)
Ofqual have launched their consultation on the rules and guidance for new GCSEs, AS and A levels in Media Studies. This contains important proposals around coursework (non-exam assessment) requirements in new specifications, including that of a brief for the production which would change every year and be released to centres no earlier than 1 June in the year before the qualification is to be awarded.
The deadline for responses is 24 March. Centres are encouraged to respond.
Further information is available from the Media Education Association.
DfE subject content for new Media Studies qualifications - England only
We are delighted to announce that Department for Education (DfE) has now published the subject content for the reformed GCSE and GCE AS and A level Media Studies qualifications for first teaching from September 2017 in England. Please consult the DfE website for full details.
More information will be made available on our Eduqas Media Studies page later this year.
Moving Image Awards 2016
We’re delighted to announce the Moving Image Awards for 2016. The competition will be open to all students aged 14-19 who are following WJEC Film or Media Studies specifications. The deadline for entries will be TUESDAY, 22 June 2016 and the Awards ceremony itself will be at the British Film Institute in early December 2016.
The categories will be:
- Short film (2-5 minutes)
- Film extract (any genre, 2-5 minutes)
- TV extract (any genre, 2-5 minutes)
- Music Video (may be based on tracts where there is an existing music video, 2-5 minutes)
- For entrants 16 or under on 31 August 2016, any moving image production may be submitted (2-5 minutes)
Productions are not permitted to be on the same topic as the Unit 1 Examination. In addition only ONE of the Textual Investigations may be on the Unit 1 Examination topic.
Unit 1 Examination Topic 2016
As detailed in the specification, the Unit 1 exam topic for June 2016 is Film Trailers for Section A and Film Posters for Section B.
For 2016, the following productions are not permitted, as they are based on the unit 1 topic of Advertising and Marketing:
- Music video
- Film or TV trailer
- Film/TV/music poster or campaign
Unit 1 Examination Topic 2017
As detailed in the specification, the Unit 1 exam topic for June 2017 is Newspapers for Section A and Radio News for Section B.
Specifications - Linear and Unitised
- ALL centres in England are required to use the linear GCSE specification. In linear specifications, candidates enter all their units at the end of the course.
- In Wales, centres are able to follow either the linear or unitised specification. In unitised specifications assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications. The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- Bulletin - Autumn 2015
- Bulletin - January 2015
- Circular No. 39 - Nov 2015 (available via the secure website)
Grade Boundaries (UMS/Raw Marks)
- Grade Boundaries (UMS/Raw Marks) for previous series are available.
- Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the Uniform Marks document.
- Specimen Assessment Materials
- Teachers' Guide
- Unit 1 Frequently Asked Questions
- Unit 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for unitised specifications
- Film trailers and film posters resource
- Past papers, marking schemes and resources are available free of charge to teachers on our secure website
- Online Exam Review
- Hwb Resources
Please note that exemplar material for Unit 2 Controlled Assessment is available on the WJEC Secure Website under: Resources PDF Download > GCSE Media Studies Exemplar
- Submission of Marks for Internal Assessment Guidance
- ME2 Form
- ME3 Form
- Generic Guidance on Controlled Assessment
- Subject Specific Information on Controlled Assessment
Item Level Data
For further information, please contact:
Jo Johnson - Subject Officer
Phone: 029 2026 5091
Sally Cunliffe - Subject Support Officer
Phone: 029 2026 5460
GCSE Media Studies Examiners' Report Summer 2015Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2015 Principal Examiners' Report, providing feedback on the Summer 2015 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.