Latin Level 1 / 2 Certificate
Level 1 and Level 2 Certificates in Latin Language, Latin Language & Roman Civilisation and Latin Literature
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries.
The WJEC Certificates in Latin provide flexible and motivating courses which can be used as 'stepping stones' or as a complete alternative to GCSE.
- There are separate Certificates for Latin Language and Latin Literature
- They are fully accredited until and including 2017 and each Certificate carries the same number of performance points as a GCSE
- Both levels are graded A* to C
- The Department for Education has confirmed that the current status of the Level 1 and 2 Latin Certificates as attracting performance points and the Level 2 Language and Language and Roman Civilisation Certificates as contributing to the EBacc will include 2017 assessments. The Latin Literature Certificates will be examined for the final time in 2017. The Latin Language and Latin Language and Roman Civilisation Certificates will continue to be available, but from 2018, only GCSE in Latin will attract performance points and contribute to the Ebacc.
- As the Certificates are unitised, they offer the flexibility of unit entries in different sessions
- The Core Language papers are available in both January and May/June
- There is the option of Controlled Assessment in both Roman Civilisation and Literature.
- Subscribe to be kept informed of news and developments in this subject
Accredited WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin (for teaching from 2016)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE (9-1) Latin qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2016. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in England and has been accredited by Ofqual. The specification can be found on the Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin page.
For centres in Wales: WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Latin (for teaching from 2016)
We have developed a reformed GCSE (9-1) Latin qualification, accredited by Ofqual and designated by Qualifications Wales, for teaching from 2016. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in Wales and England.
Grade Boundaries (UMS / Raw Marks)
- Raw and UMS grade boundary information for past series is available. The grade boundary data for summer 2013 for all units can be seen there.
- Latin Performance Points
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations (N.B. the data are available for some units (eg Level 2 Core Language) only)
For further information, please contact:
Alan Clague - Subject Officer
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Latin Language & Roman Civilisation Examiners' Report Summer 2016Download
Latin Literature Examiners' Report Summer 2016Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2016 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.