Film Studies GCE AS/A
MOVING IMAGE AWARDS 2016 - DEADLINE DATE EXTENDED!
Following several requests, the deadline for entries for this year's Moving Image Awards has been extended to TUESDAY, 5 JULY 2016. Best of Luck!
NEW EDUQAS SPECIFICATIONS IN FILM STUDIES (A level and separate, standalone AS)
Draft new Eduqas specifications will be published on WJEC's Eduqas website on 28 JULY 2016, the day they are submitted to Ofqual for accreditation.
Free half-day CPDs to introduce the specifications will take place in October and free full day events, exploring teaching approaches to the new specifications, are planned for the Spring term, 2017.
First teaching of the new specifications starts in September 2017. Final assessment of the existing specifications is Summer 2018.
BFI A Level Media Conference: 30 June - 1 July
Booking has opened for this year's A Level Media and Film Conference: www.bfi.org.uk/education/conferences<http://www.bfi.org.uk/education/conferences
Other items on this page
1. Sample Scripts and Internally Assessed Work
4. FM1 – FM4 Resources
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
1. Sample Scripts and Internal Assessed Work
Examples of scripts with examiner comments giving advice on how these scripts could be improved are available via Online Exam Review
In addition, other examples of controlled assessment (with principal moderator comments and guidance) together with additional marked scripts (without examiner commentary) can be found on WJEC's secure website (for which you need a password provided by your exams officer)
Examples of work from 2015 should be available in the Autumn.
2. Continuing Professional Development
Free CPDs to launch WJEC's new Eduqas Film Studies specifications will take place in Autumn and Spring. Dates to be published shortly.
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
4. Resources on FM1 - FM4
Exploring the US and UK Film Industry (resource for Section A). A new online resource in Gravity, The World's End and independent films Whiplash and The Machine will be available in January 2015.
(4c) FM3 Guidance - produced by Freddie Gaffney (Principal Moderator)
- FM3 Example of Complete Step Outline
- FM3 Step Outline Guidance Structure
- FM3 Screenplay Guidance
- Guidance on Completing 'Aims and Context' FM1 & FM3
Section C - Critical Study
- Fight Club , Happy Together , Les Enfants Du Paradis , Modern Times , Movern Callar , Solaris , Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song , Talk to Her , The Battle of Algiers , Vertigo .
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project Proposals 2016-2017
The FM3d forms are no longer formally required but you need to provide your moderator (via email) with the following information for each candidate:
- Area of investigation (title)
- Film framework (auteur, genre, etc.)
- Main and related films.
Could all email attachments, if possible, be sent as word documents rather than PDFs.
Moderator details for FM3 Small Scale Research Proposals will be available in September 2016.
- Sarah Casey Benyahia, Freddie Gaffney and John White AS Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, and A2 Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, Routledge (2008 & 2009) reflects the current specification.
- Ed Jill Nelmes, Introduction to Film Studies, Routledge (5th edition, 2011)
Useful general books include:
- Nick Lacey, Introduction to Film, Palgrave Macmillan (2005) is a more general book on Film Studies.
- Roy Stafford, The Global Film Book, Routledge (2014)
- Michele Aaron, Spectatorship: The Power of Looking On, Wallflower Press (2007)
Books on individual films, film topics and skills:
- Danny Powell, Studying British Cinema: The 1960s
- Eddie Dyja, Studying British Cinema: The 1990s
- John Fitzgerald, Studying British Cinema: 1999-2009
- Mark Ramey, Studying Fight Club
- Freddie Gaffney, On Screenwriting
- Emily Hughes, Studying Talk to Her
Other useful books which have material relevant to the new specification, but which were originally written for the previous, pre-2008 specification are:
- Tanya Jones, A Level Film Studies for WJEC, Hodder Arnold (2005)
- Jo Harland & Nick Timmons, AS FILM Studies, Nelson Thornes Ltd (2006)
For further information, please contact:
Jeremy Points - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5195
Jodie Mearing-Lane - Subject Support Officers
Telephone: 029 2026 5101
GCE AS/A level Film Studies Examiners' Report Summer 2015Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2015 Principal Examiners' Report, providing feedback on the Summer 2015 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.