Film Studies GCE AS/A
WJEC's Moving Image Awards 2016
- Shortlist now available for download MIA Shorlist and Special Mention Candidates
- Download the application form to book your place MIA General Ticket Application Form 2016
- Priority will be given to those centres that have entered candidates
Shortlisted and Special Mention entrants have been contacted separately and need not apply using the general application form.
Draft WJEC Eduqas AS and A level Film Studies (for teaching from 2017)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC is developing a reformed AS and A level Film Studies qualifications, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2017. This qualification is designed to meet regulatory requirements in England. The draft specification can be found on the Eduqas Film Studies page.
Qualifications Wales is considering whether GCSE qualifications developed for use in England can be made available in Wales, where no reformed specification is being developed for use in Wales. We understand that it is Qualifications Wales' intention to make these GCSEs available in Wales, however, details are yet to be confirmed. We will provide an update when we have more information.
For centres in England: Draft WJEC Eduqas AS/A level Film Studies Studies (for teaching from 2017)
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC is developing a reformed AS/A level Film Studies qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2017. This qualification is designed to meet regulatory requirements in England. The draft specification can be found on the Eduqas AS/A level Film Studies page.
Other items on this page
4. FM1 – FM4 Resources
2. Sample Scripts and Internally Assessed Work
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
1. Continuing Professional Development
New AS and A-Level Film Studies Specifications - Briefing Sessions: We are running a series of free, half day briefing sessions for the new Eduqas Film Studies Specifications.
The sessions will give an overview of the draft specifications and sample assessment materials including assessment objectives, examination structure and other key areas.
New AS and A-Level Film Studies Specifications - Preparing to Teach: This full day course is designed for teachers who are preparing to teach the Eduqas AS/A Level Film Studies specification for first teaching from September 2017. Each session will look in-depth at the new specification including its assessment objectives, examination structure and other key areas and review sample assessment materials
Current Specification: Join us in London this November for the GCE AS/A level Film Studies CPD course for teachers and centres new to the current specification. Book your place by clicking the link below:
2. Sample Scripts and Internal Assessed Work
Examples of scripts with examiner comments giving advice on how these scripts could be improved are available via Online Exam Review
In addition, other examples of controlled assessment (with principal moderator comments and guidance) together with additional marked scripts (without examiner commentary) can be found on WJEC's secure website (for which you need a password provided by your exams officer)
Examples of work from 2015 should be available in the Autumn.
3. Key Dates, Bulletins and FAQs
4. Resources on FM1 - FM4
Exploring the US and UK Film Industry (resource for Section A). A new online resource in Gravity, The World's End and independent films Whiplash and The Machine will be available in January 2015.
(4c) FM3 Guidance - produced by Freddie Gaffney (Principal Moderator)
- FM3 Example of Complete Step Outline
- FM3 Step Outline Guidance Structure
- FM3 Screenplay Guidance
- Guidance on Completing 'Aims and Context' FM1 & FM3
Section C - Critical Study
- Fight Club , Happy Together , Les Enfants Du Paradis , Modern Times , Movern Callar , Solaris , Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song , Talk to Her , The Battle of Algiers , Vertigo .
5. FM3 Small Scale Research Project Proposals 2016-2017
The FM3d forms are no longer formally required but you need to provide your moderator (via email) with the following information for each candidate:
- Area of investigation (title)
- Film framework (auteur, genre, etc.)
- Main and related films.
Could all email attachments, if possible, be sent as word documents rather than PDFs.
- Sarah Casey Benyahia, Freddie Gaffney and John White AS Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, and A2 Film Studies: The Essential Introduction, Routledge (2008 & 2009) reflects the current specification.
- Ed Jill Nelmes, Introduction to Film Studies, Routledge (5th edition, 2011)
Useful general books include:
- Nick Lacey, Introduction to Film, Palgrave Macmillan (2005) is a more general book on Film Studies.
- Roy Stafford, The Global Film Book, Routledge (2014)
- Michele Aaron, Spectatorship: The Power of Looking On, Wallflower Press (2007)
Books on individual films, film topics and skills:
- Danny Powell, Studying British Cinema: The 1960s
- Eddie Dyja, Studying British Cinema: The 1990s
- John Fitzgerald, Studying British Cinema: 1999-2009
- Mark Ramey, Studying Fight Club
- Freddie Gaffney, On Screenwriting
- Emily Hughes, Studying Talk to Her
Other useful books which have material relevant to the new specification, but which were originally written for the previous, pre-2008 specification are:
- Tanya Jones, A Level Film Studies for WJEC, Hodder Arnold (2005)
- Jo Harland & Nick Timmons, AS FILM Studies, Nelson Thornes Ltd (2006)
For further information, please contact:
Rebecca Ellis - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5195
GCE Film Studies Examiners' Report Summer 2016Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2016 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.