English Literature GCSE
Accredited Specifications and Specimen Assessment Materials for Wales (for first teaching from 2015) are now available.
- Strengthened GCSE English Literature
- GCSE Reforms in England (English language and English literature)
- Qualification Reform in Wales
- Changes to early entry at GCSE in England
Continuing Professional Development
We are holding a series of CPD courses from the autumn term to support teachers delivering GCSE English Literature. Book your place by clicking the course link below:
Principal Examiners' Reports
The January 2016 Principal Examiners' Reports for GCSE English Literature, providing feedback on the January 2016 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
Our dedicated Educational Resources team are working in close consultation with teachers and sector leads to produce a range of exciting, diverse and engaging material to support our new GCSE English Literature qualification.
Take a look at the existing resources we have for English.
Welcome to the twelfth issue of i.e. WJEC's online English magazine Please let us know what you think!
All issues of i.e. are available on the i.e. webpage.
Key Features of WJEC Provision
- Direct email contact with subject officers and administrative support
- Regular updates via e-mail bulletins webpages
- Straightforward, efficient administration
- CPD offered across England and Wales
- Teaching and learning resources available from secure website
- Past papers and marking schemes available from secure website
- Item level data available from secure website
- Grade boundary information
- Controlled Assessment Tasks (2016)
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar assessment (GCSE English Literature)
- Unitised Assessment Regulations
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations
- Approaching the closed book exams
- GCSE Englishes bulletin no 99E - centres in England (February 2015)
- GCSE Englishes bulletin no 99W - centres in Wales (February 2015)
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was asked to revise GCSE specifications for centres in England to make the assessment linear.
Strengthened GCSE English Literature for assessment from 2015
We are pleased to inform you that WJEC's strengthened GCSE English Literature specification for first award in 2015 has been accredited. A leaflet detailing the changes and giving the answers to a number of questions teachers may ask may be useful. In addition, the amended specification and sample assessment materials are available. Teachers' guides are also available.
Controlled Assessment Exemplar Material (with marks and commentary provided by the Principal Moderator) is now available.
For further information, please contact:
Nancy Hutt - Subject Officer, GCSE English / English Language (Out of Wales only)
Telephone: 029 2026 5023
Guy Melhuish - Subject Officer, GCSE English Language (Wales only)
Telephone: 029 2026 5179
Julia Harrison - Subject Officer, GCSE English Literature
Telephone: 029 2026 5374
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Lewis Beecham - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5051
GCSE English, English Language and English Literature Examiners' Report June 2015 (Out of Wales)Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2015 Principal Examiners' Report, providing feedback on the Summer 2015 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.