Subscribe to be kept informed of news and developments in this subject
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Drama qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
For centres in Wales: Approved WJEC GCSE Drama (for teaching from 2016)
WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE Drama qualification, regulated by Qualifications Wales, for teaching from 2016. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in Wales and has been approved by Qualifications Wales: it is not available to centres in England.
Continuing Professional Development
We are holding a series of CPD courses from the autumn term to support teachers preparing to deliver GCSE Drama (from 2016). Book your place by clicking the course link below:
For centres in England
Through our Eduqas brand, WJEC has developed a reformed GCSE (9-1) Drama qualification, regulated by Ofqual, for teaching from 2016. This qualification meets regulatory requirements in England and has been accredited by Ofqual. The specification can be found on the Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Drama page.
WJEC Linear GCSE Drama Approved (June 2012)
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Drama has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Subscribe to the Drama bulletin at the foot of this page.
- No 4 September 2012
- No 5 January 2013
- No 6 September 2013
- No 7 January 2014
- No 8 October 2014
- No 9 January 2015
- Unit 1: Controlled Assessment (Circ. 71)
- Unit 1: Devised Practical Performance for assessment in 2015 and 2016 (Circ. 59)
- Unit 1: Devised Practical Performance for assessment in 2017 (Circ. 14)
- Unit 2: Performance from a Text Inconvenient Dates 2016 (Circ. 21)
- Unit 3: Change of texts (Circ. 56)
- Teachers' Guide
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations
- Online Exam Review is now available.
Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications:
Unitised Specifications - GCSE Video
Uniform Marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks
For further information, please contact:
Catherine Webster - Subject Officer
Telephone: 02920 265316
Catrin Budd - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 02920 265142
Sara Evans - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 02920 265361
GCSE Drama Examiners' Report Summer 2015Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The Summer 2015 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this Summer's examination series for the new and legacy qualifications. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.