Additional English Entry Pathways
About this Qualification
Additional English assesses the skills of knowledge and understanding of literary texts and the candidates’ ability to read and understand non-fiction and audio/visual texts. Candidates are also given the opportunity to create their own narratives.
Additional English is available as an 8 credit Award or a 13 credit Certificate at Entry 2 and 3 and is assessed purely through internal assessment; there are no examinations for this qualification. There are a range of units available for Additional English, allowing centres to create a flexible course of their own that suits the needs of their learners. Details of all Additional English units can be found in the Additional English booklet.
Candidates can also combine some units from the Creative, Media and Performance Arts suite. Full rules of combination can be found in the Entry Pathways General Specification.
- WJEC is a primary sponsor at this year's annual NATE conference, which is part of a year-long partnership with the organisation.
- Entry Pathways qualifications no longer carry performance points in England. For information relating to performance points in Wales please see https://www.qiw.wales/. WJEC will continue to provide Entry Pathways qualifications at all levels as centres have shown that the demand is there for a rigorous and pertinent assessment for the range of learners following these courses.
- We are hoping to add additional units to the Additional English qualification in the near future and we would like to hear your views on what content you would like to see included. Please complete our survey to give us your opinions on the current units and any potential new ones.
All documents are available on the Additional English Related Documents webpage.
- Additional English Coursework Guide
- Additional English Frequently Asked Questions
- Internal Moderation guidance
- Unit Amplification Documents
- Resource material is now available
- Exemplar material is available on the Secure Website under Resources PDF Download.
- Entry Pathways Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry Pathways Webpage
Welcome to the fourteenth issue of i.e. the English online magazine.
Please let us know what you think!
All issues of i.e. are available on the i.e. webpage.
For further information, please contact:
Entry Pathways Administration Section
Telephone: 029 2026 5180
Kirsten Wilcock - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5303
Lewis Beecham - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5070
Additional English Chief Moderator's Report Summer 2016Download
Principal Examiners' Report
The 2016 Principal Examiners' reports provide feedback on this 's examination series. The reports include helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next examination series.