To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Religious Studies B GCSE
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide GCSE Religious Studies qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in BOTH ENGLAND AND WALES.
Follow us on Twitter
In addition to subscribing to Religious Studies for updates and developments you can now also follwo us on Twitter.
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
Continuing Professional Development
Face-to-face continuing professional development is limited to internal assessment, standardising in relevant subjects in the coming academic year. Examination review will be provided online; a presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
WJEC linear GCSE Religious Studies B approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Religious Studies B has been approved by the regulators. It will appear here shortly.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
• linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
• existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that the linear assessment may be taken at the end of the course only.
The subject content remains similar. The main difference is that in linear specification all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here in due course.
Item Level Data
Presentation explaining the use of Item Level Data from WJEC examinations.
SPaG in 2013 for GCSE Religious Studies Specification B
The regulators in Wales, England and Northern Ireland recently asked all awarding organisations to include the assessment of spelling, punctuation and grammar in ALL Religious Studies GCSE examinations from June 2013 onwards. WJEC is pleased to confirm that changes to assessment reflecting this requirement have been accepted by the regulators. Further details are available. Revised sample assessment materials are available.
Uniform Marks (UMS)
This provides you with information including the entry rules, tiering options as well as the UMS grade points for each Unit and the subject as a whole.
Explanation on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks
- All Religious Studies B GCSE documents
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Resources are also available through our Online Shop.
- Application form to become an examiner
Hodder and Stoughton have published two text books and have also developed a scheme of work for Specification B. These are : Believing and Living by G Craigen and J White and Believing and Experiencing by G. Craigen and J. White. For further details please click here
Heinneman have also published two publications that support this specification. The titles are Religion and Life Issues and Religion and Human Experience authored by Chris Owens, Helen Bartley, Laura Burridge, Tanya Hill and David Sharpe. For further details please click here.
Oxford University Press have two publications to support Specification B Unit 1 Religion and Life Issues and Unit 2 Religion and Human Experience. This is written by Ina Taylor who is a very successsful author of a number of text books. For further details please click here.
All the above publications are endorsed by WJEC.
PLEASE NOTE - The green booklet "Specified Texts" (used under the old specification) is no longer available or allowed under the current provision.
For further information, please contact:
Tudor Thomas - Religious Studies Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5122
Eira Morgan - Religious Studies Consultant Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5113
Christopher Barfoot - Religious Studies Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5094