To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Physical Education GCSE
NEW: WJEC linear GCSE Physical Education approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revised GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that the WJEC linear GCSE specification in Physical Education has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of course. You may view the revised specification here.
ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their examinations at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- Coursework marksheets (2012) are available online.
- An explanation of the Uniform Marks Scale (UMS) is available here.
Detailed advice relating to the administration of the controlled assessment can be found on pages 14-18 of the specification. Controlled assessment tasks and criteria can be found on pages 19-36.
- An extensive "E" book that closely matches the specification has been developed and will be sent to centres on request.
- Support material and additional resources can be found free of charge on NGfL-Cymru.
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Further resources are available through our online shop.
Continuing Professional Development
There is a regular programme of Continuing Professional Development delivered every autumn by senior examiners and teachers of the courses.
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
For further information, please contact:
Mike Neale - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5315
Bob Harding- Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5097