To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Sciences qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
Online examination review – now available
This resource allows you to analyse results and identify strengths and weaknesses. Key questions have been selected for each unit from the Summer 2013 series and exemplar pupil responses provided, along with feedback from the principal examiner.
GCSE Science controlled assessment CPD videos and linked resources.
Videos are now available for Science A and Additional Science / Biology / Chemistry / Physics.
Both videos provide detailed feedback on key findings from the moderation process in summer 2013 and include linked resources.
Techniquest in conjunction with WJEC will be holding the following events in March 2014:
Event Title: I’m new to science teaching – how can I improve my teaching to help my pupils when faced with controlled assessment / examinations during KS4?
For more information and to book please use the following links:
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
WJEC linear GCSE Science approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Science has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- All centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- Linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- Existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Unitised Specifications GCSE
Circular No.42 - Unitised GCSE Science Specifications in Wales
Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE Unitised specifications.
Unitised Specifications - GCSE Video.
QCF units for Applied Science
WJEC will also be offering QCF units for Applied Science related to the working environment. This is a new qualification.
The following resources are available :
- A brief presentation on literacy and numeracy in GCSE Science.
- To view a list of terms in Welsh to support the GCSE Science specifications, click on the links below. For more information click 'Cymraeg' at the top of this page. Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- Please follow this link to find Raw / UMS grade boundaries
- A selection of GCSE Science A Resources
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Further resources are available through our Online Shop.
- The Controlled Assessment sample must reach the Moderator by 5 May 2014.
- Controlled assessment tasks for 2013-2014 are available from the Secure Website in English and Welsh.
For further information, contact:
Liane Adams - Biology Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5126
Jonathan Owen - Chemistry Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5057
Helen Francis - Physics Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5081
Lowri Evans - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5140