To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Sciences qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
- Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
- The legacy Science specifications are being offered for certification for the last time in January 2013. Therefore all entries for the June 2013 series are relevant to the new Science specifications only.
WJEC linear GCSE Science approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Science has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- Linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- Existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Unitised Specifications GCSE
Circular No.42 - Unitised GCSE Science Specifications in Wales
Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE Unitsised specifications.
Unitised Specifications - GCSE Video.
QCF units for Applied Science
WJEC will also be offering QCF units for Applied Science related to the working environment. This is a new qualification.
Continuing Professional Development
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
The following resources are available :
- A brief presentation on literacy and numeracy in GCSE Science.
- To view a list of terms in Welsh to support the new GCSE Science specifications, click on the links below. For more information click 'Cymraeg' at the top of this page. Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- Please follow this link to obtain the Raw / UMS grade boundaries
- A selection of GCSE Science A Resources
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Further resources are available through our Online Shop.
- Material linked to the Physics content of the specification can be found on the Schoolphysics website.
- The Controlled Assessment sample must reach the Moderator by the 5 May 2014.
- Internal assessment practical tasks for 2013-2014 are available from the Secure Website in English and Welsh.
For further information, contact:
Liane Adams - Biology Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5126
Jonathan Owen - Chemistry Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5057
Helen Francis - Physics Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5081
Lowri Evans - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5140