To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Information and Communication Technology GCSE
WJEC has a Short Course and a Single Award with the 2 units of the short course a subset of the 4 unit single award. Our specifications are assessed by a mixture of exams (40%) and controlled assignment (60%) to give a flexible, up to date qualification which will engage learners. Text books have been published by Hodder and Folens along with a Teachers' Guide to support delivery. Teachers have direct access to subject specialists to answer all your questions.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCSE ICT qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
For schools in Wales, WJEC has identified an overlap in terms of skills between WJEC GCSE ICT and the Essential Skills Wales ICT qualifications. Candidates submitting the unit 2 Controlled Task will meet the requirements of both with a little extra documentation.
NEW: New Controlled Tasks Released
The new Controlled Tasks, Teacher Instructions and the datafile (unit 2), for submission in summer 2013 or summer 2014, for both Unit 2 and Unit 4 can be downloaded by clicking here. The Controlled Tasks released in September 2011 can also be submitted in summer 2013. Copies of this can be obtained on request from WJEC using the e-mail addresses below.
NEW: WJEC linear GCSE ICT approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specifications in ICT have been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two year courses in September 2012).
In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- GCSE ICT Specifications are available online.
- GCSE Sample Assessment Material is available online.
- GCSE Teachers' Guide is available online.
- Coursework Forms are available online.
- Email Bulletin is available online.
- Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks.
- Resources to help teachers deliver the theory content of the GCSE Specification, will soon be released on the NGfL-Cymru website. If you would like to recieve a draft version now, please email the Subject Officer or the Subject Support Officer.
- Further resources are available through our online Shop.
Continuing Professional Development
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided onlie; further details will be issued in due course.
CPD materials are available on our secure website (Resources PDF Download, CPD materials).
Functional Skills ICT
From September 2010, all centres in England will be able to enter candidates for Functional ICT at Entry Level and Level 1 & 2.
For NEW centres starting Functional Skills, please sign up to our FS despatch mailing list to ensure you are kept up to date with current information.
Please e-mail HilaryWyman for further details.
For further information, please contact:
Ian Gillam - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5137
Clare Williams - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5059