To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Geography A GCSE
Interested in teaching WJEC GCSE Geography A for the first time this September? If so, this document will give you a brief overview of the specification.
A useful new online exam feedback is now available for Summer 2013, search under Geography GCSE. There is information on 3 of the Summer 2013 examination papers.
There is also another useful link to WJEC resources which will also store digital education resources for Geography.
Centres that are still considering their 2014 (cash-in) Controlled Assessment should complete the 2014 Controlled Assessment Proposal Form. For 2014 the titles must be selected from the approved generic tasks 2014.
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Geography qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
Use the following link for the internal assessment standardising Continuing Professional Development programme for GCSE Spec A Geography.
These events are free of charge, but please note that attendance is limited to one member of staff per centre for each subject. Additional members of staff may attend on payment of a £30 per head administration fee.
Examination review will be provided online. A presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
The generic controlled assessment tasks for 2015 are now available. The guidance notes for both the Fieldwork Enquiry and the decision making Exercise will be placed on the website shortly.
The deadline for the submission of completed controlled assessment samples for moderation is Friday 22nd March 2013. As in 2012, centres will be required to submit their controlled assessment marks online via the WJEC Secure Website from 10th March. Once all marks have been entered and submitted, the online system will confirm the details of those candidates whose work will need to be sent in the sample. As in 2012, the moderator address details will only be available via the online system, and can be seen once marks have been submitted and the sample has been confirmed.
As in 2012, the relevant covering mark sheets and guidance notes (CAA1, CAA2 & CAA3) can be downloaded and completed from the Internal Assessment / coursework forms page . Please see the Spec A guidance notes document for a step-by-step guide to the process.
June 2012 Linear and Unitised specifications
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications for first award from 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses starting from September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- The subject content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that the linear assessment may be taken at the end of the course only.
Continuing Professional Development
- 2010 CPD examples of marked scripts.
- 2010 CPD Resources for Teachers.
- You may use this PowerPoint presentation with your students to help them understand how to show evidence of AO2 in their fieldwork enquiries. The presentation uses the context of rivers fieldwork. Teaching notes are included with each slide.
- All documents page including Specification, Specimen Assessment materials, Teachers Guides mark sheets, etc
- A useful summary sheet on the specification entry codes is also available.
- GCSE examiner application form is available on line.
- An updated Version of the teacher guide incorporating the optional units is available. (19/05/2010)
- Royal Geographical Society
- Geographical Association
- The new geography GCSE specification (A)
- Specimen assessment materials
- Submission of controlled assessment form 2014
- Guidance sheet on the submission process
- Controlled assessment CAA2 & CAA3 2014
Centres should obtain approval for their controlled assessment items by completing the 2014 approval form. Once approved any further resource material can be sent to a controlled assessment advisor for comment.
It is hoped that the advice and support you receive from your controlled assessment adviser will ensure that you can approach the controlled assessment with the confidence that your students are producing items of work which are both relevant and appropriate to the demands of the new specification. Further information in relation to controlled assessment can be found in the Teachers Guide.
Uniform Marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks
For further information, please contact:
Andrew Owen - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5114
Steve James - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5029