To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
This GCSE French page contains quick links to featured and key documents for teachers.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries.
Principal Examiners’ Report
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
Continuing Professional Development
The internal assessment standardising continuing professional development programme for the 2013 – 2014 academic year is now open for bookings. These events are free of charge, but please note that attendance is limited to one member of staff per centre for each subject. Additional members of staff may attend on payment of a £30 per head administration fee. Examination review will be provided online. A presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
WJEC linear GCSE French approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear. We are pleased to announce that the WJEC linear GCSE specification in French has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Unitised Specifications - GCSE
Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications:
Unitised Specifications - GCSE video
It will be possible for pupils to sit the GCSE Listening examination as an (optional) on-screen test. For information about e–assessment, please contact Laura Crook at email@example.com or telephone 029 20265 328.
- Instructions for submitting controlled assessments
- Raw / UMS grade boundaries
- GCSE - Important dates 2013-2014
- GCSE Unit Directory
- Allocation of Uniform Marks in GCSE
Specimen Assessment Materials
Teacher Guidance Notes
Please note that a pro forma for noting advice given to candidates during the preparation period for the controlled assessments will not be provided. Teachers will not have to record and send this advice.
- Controlled Assessment Speaking - Task Bank 2013
- Controlled Assessment Speaking - Task Bank 2011
- Controlled Assessment Writing - Task Bank
- Controlled Assessment Speaking Mark Scheme
- Controlled Assessment Writing Mark Scheme
Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
For further information, please contact:
Amanda Roberts - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5045
Claire Williams - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5031