To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Geography GCE A/AS
A useful new online exam feedback is now available for Summer 2013, search under Geography GCE, At present G1 and G4 are available. We will notify you of the others as they become available.
There is also another useful link to WJEC resources which will also store digital education resources for Geography.
Please note important information regarding entries for Geography GCE for January 2014.
Please note the recent amendment to the rubric on the G4 pre-release folder relating to the use of web addresses.
Here is a very useful website for G2 population statistics which can also help with information in relation to the demographic transition model.
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations. It also gives links to the 2013 grade boundaries.
G3B Important note – re-sit candidates:
This WJEC circular was sent to Centres in July 2012. This concerns candidates who wish to re-sit the G3B examination. They must study the prescribed topic for the year in which they take the examination. It also notes that the correct, current topics must be used.
Face-to-face continuing professional development is limited to internal assessment standardising in relevant subjects in the coming academic year. Examination review will be provided online; a presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
Level 3 Certificate in Statistical Problem Solving using Software (QCF)
This Level 3 qualification focuses on using statistical software for problem solving.
More information about Statistical Problem Solving using Software Pathways (QCF)
As you might know, it has been decided that the January GCE assessment opportunity should no longer be available in England. This applies to all awarding organisations. The January 2013 series was consequently the last GCE winter examination series in England. We await a decision on the future of the January assessment opportunity for centres in Wales and elsewhere shortly.
You will be aware that a number of other changes to the content, structure and operation of GCE exams are being discussed by government and the regulatory authorities. We shall inform you of the outcome of these discussions as soon as we know more.
- GCE Command Words
- G3B Candidates' Individual Project Approval Form
- G3 Section B Research Topic Areas for January and June 2014
- Enquiry Approach - Essential guidance for G1, G2 (Q3) and G3B
- The 2010, 2011 and 2012 CPD (Inset) material is available for teachers to access on the CPD section of the Secure Website. If you do not yet have access to the secure website click here for further details.
- The material can be found under> Resources PDF download⇒CPD materials⇒GCE Geography CPD 20010-2011 and CPD 2012. There are also examples of marked papers here.
- 4 Student Unit Guides G1-G4 published by Philip Allan. To order these books send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Part 1 of the Teachers' Guide
- Part 2 of the Teachers' Guide
- G1 Investigating Tectonic Change
- New resource for G3 Section A - Emerging Superpowers: India and China-Gill Miller and Sue Warn ISBN 978-1-84377-253-8 (See Page 9 Secondary geography resources 2010)
- G1- G4 UMS to Raw Mark conversion tables.
- G4 Resource Sustainability
- A G1 to G4 Reading/Resource list is now available.
- G4 Sustainability-suggestions on using the pre release material
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data for WJEC examinations.
- Other resources are available here
Some useful networking sites mentioned at INSET that may be of help to teachers are:
- G1 Investigating climate change
- Investigating tectonic and hydrological change
- Environment Agency Wales- Flood Awareness
- G2 Investigating population change
- Investigating settlement change
- G3 Development
- Key Stage 5 wiki for the WJEC A level
- Royal Geographical Society
- Geographical Association Home Page
- Geographical Association
- The A Level Geography magazine is published online by the Canolfan Adnoddau Addysg at the following website
- A wide range of resources are also available free of charge via HWB (formerly NGFL website). Past papers and marking schemes for the new specification are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website. Further resources are available through our online Shop.
Uniform Marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks.
Here is a link to the UMS/Raw mark comparison and Grade boundaries
For further information, please contact:
Alison Doogan - Geography Subject Officer
Tel: 029 2026 5158
Steve James - Geography Subject Support Officer
Tel: 029 2026 5029