To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
& English Language GCSE
NEW: Following recognition of WJEC L1 / L2 Certificates in English in the EBacc and other performance measures, free introductory meetings will be held in London, Bristol and Manchester in June. Please book here.
GCSE English / English Language January and June 2013 - Clarification on a range of issues relating to entries and results.
Information about the new GCSE English Language in Wales is available here.
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
- NEW: GCSE Englishes bulletin no 95 (12.04.13)
- NEW: Examiners' Report January 2013
- Important dates 2012-2013
- Checklist for Controlled Assessment Samples
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar assessment (GCSE English Literature)
- Raw / UMS grade boundaries
- Explanation of results - GCSE
- Unitised Assessment Regulations
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries. In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications for centres in England to make the assessment linear.
Controlled Assessment Tasks: Centres are reminded that controlled assessment tasks for assessment in 2014 are now available on WJEC's secure website.
November 2013 Assessment Opportunity: In November 2013, there will be assessment opportunities for all units in the GCSE English (4190) and GCSE English Language (4170) qualifications.
Marks from previous examination series can be used towards certification. Students who use this assessment opportunity must certificate at the same time and the final 40% terminal rule must be met.
In recent communications, Ofqual have informed awarding organisations that they have reviewed their decision to allow November series to be open to first-time and re-take candidates. The regulators in England have concluded that, from November 2014, this series will be restricted to re-take candidates. There will be no November series available to candidates in Wales after 2013.
Specifications and Specimen Assessment Materials
Specimen written papers and marking schemes are contained in Specimen Assessment Materials.
- GCSE English Language
- GCSE English
- GCSE English Literature
Controlled Assessment Exemplar Material (with marks and commentary provided by the Principal Moderator) is now available.
Key Features of WJEC Provision
- Direct email contact with subject officers and administrative support
- Regular updates via e-mail bulletins webpages
- Straightforward, efficient administration
- CPD offered across England and Wales
- Teaching and learning resources available from secure website
- Past papers and marking schemes available from secure website
- Item level data available from secure website
For further information, please contact:
Nancy Hutt - Subject Officer, GCSE English Literature
Telephone: 029 2026 5374
Kirsten Wilcock- Subject Officer, GCSE English/English Language
Telephone: 029 2026 5023
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Charlotte Dix - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5051