To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
& English Language GCSE
- Changes to early entry at GCSE in England
- Changes to GCSE English and English Language speaking and listening in England
- English Language GCSE in Wales
- GCSE November Exams: Procedures, Codes & Timetables
- GCSE Englishes bulletin no 96E - centres in England (08.10.2013)
- GCSE Englishes bulletin no 96W - centres in Wales (08.10.2013)
- Important dates (for centres in Wales) 2013-2014
- Important dates (for centres in England) 2013-2014
- November 2013 Series
- Grade boundary information
- Explanation of results - GCSE
- GCSE English / English Language January and June 2013 - Clarification on a range of issues relating to entries and results.
- The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
We informed centres last year that the examination regulator required all awarding organisations in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland to strengthen the assessment of GCSE English Literature.
We are now pleased to inform you that WJEC’s strengthened GCSE English Literature specification for first award in 2015 has been accredited. A leaflet detailing the changes and giving the answers to a number of questions teachers may ask may be found here. In addition, the amended specification and sample assessment materials may be found here.
The internal assessment standardising continuing professional development programme for the 2013 – 2014 academic year is now open for bookings. These events are free of charge, but please note that attendance is limited to one member of staff per centre for each subject. Additional members of staff may attend on payment of a £30 per head administration fee. Examination review will be provided online. A presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
- Inspire Me! English competition
- Controlled Assessment Tasks (2015)
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar assessment (GCSE English Literature)
- Unitised Assessment Regulations
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications
- Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, qualifications in both England and Wales which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both countries. In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications for centres in England to make the assessment linear.
Controlled Assessment Tasks: Centres are reminded that controlled assessment tasks for assessment in 2014 are now available on WJEC's secure website.
November 2013 Assessment Opportunity: In November 2013, there will be assessment opportunities for all units in the GCSE English (4190) and GCSE English Language (4170) qualifications.
Marks from previous examination series can be used towards certification. Students who use this assessment opportunity must certificate at the same time and the final 40% terminal rule must be met.
In recent communications, Ofqual have informed awarding organisations that they have reviewed their decision to allow November series to be open to first-time and re-take candidates. The regulators in England have concluded that, from November 2014, this series will be restricted to re-take candidates. There will be no November series available to candidates in Wales after 2013.
Specifications and Specimen Assessment Materials
Specimen written papers and marking schemes are contained in Specimen Assessment Materials.
- GCSE English Language
- GCSE English
- GCSE English Literature
Controlled Assessment Exemplar Material (with marks and commentary provided by the Principal Moderator) is now available.
Key Features of WJEC Provision
- Direct email contact with subject officers and administrative support
- Regular updates via e-mail bulletins webpages
- Straightforward, efficient administration
- CPD offered across England and Wales
- Teaching and learning resources available from secure website
- Past papers and marking schemes available from secure website
- Item level data available from secure website
For further information, please contact:
Nancy Hutt - Subject Officer, GCSE English Literature
Telephone: 029 2026 5374
Kirsten Wilcock- Subject Officer, GCSE English/English Language
Telephone: 029 2026 5023
Matt Oatley - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5054
Charlotte Dix - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5051