To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
English Language Level 1 / 2 Certificate
Following recognition of WJEC L1 / L2 Certificates in English in the EBacc and other performance measures, free introductory meetings will be held in London, Bristol and Manchester in June. Please book here.
WJEC is delighted to announce that recent communications from the Department for Education (DfE) have confirmed that the WJEC Level 1/2 Certificates in English Language and English Literature will be recognised in the English Baccalaureate (EBacc performance measure) from 2014.
The impact of this is as follows:
• WJEC Level 1/2 Certificate in English Language is recognised in the EBacc as English Language with the same rules as a GCSE (i.e. that a pupil must have entered both English Language and English Literature and achieved a C or better in English Language);
• WJEC Level 1/2 Certificate in English Literature is recognised in the EBacc only if taken with an acceptable English Language qualification [as above].
Centres may opt to take GCSE English Language with Level 1/2 Certificate English Literature or vice versa, or choose to take language and literature qualifications with different awarding organisations.
Decisions relating to performance measures from 2017 will be made by DfE in the light of the recent consultation on secondary accountability.
Key features of the qualification include:
- Linear assessment
- External assessment only in reading, writing and English Literature
- An interesting and fresh list of prescribed texts
- Assessment based on the well-tried and popular WJEC model
- Skills based examinations which give a great deal of flexibility in teaching
- Easily accessible and responsive subject support
- Clear, unfussy structure and administration
Specifications and Specimen Assessment Materials
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Language specification
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Literature specification
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Language specimen assessment materials
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Literature specimen assessment materials
Speaking and Listening
It is a requirement of the Level 1/Level 2 Certificate in English Language that an outline of activities used in each teaching group must be submitted on the appropriate form to the Consultative Moderator by the 5 May.
In addition to the Outline of Activities forms, a sample of Speaking and Listening records will need to be sent to the Consultative Moderator by 5 May. The sample will comprise five records per teacher. Where one teacher is responsible for teaching two or more classes, it is acceptable that one sample of five records be submitted for that teacher. Of the five records per teacher, one must be from the top and one must be from the bottom of the range of candidates for whom they have a teaching responsibility. The other three records should cover a representative range of achievement within the teaching group/s.
Teacher Guidance and Resources
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
For further information, please contact:
Julia Harrison - Subject Officer
Phone: 029 2026 5074
Charlotte Dix - Subject Support Officer
Phone: 029 2026 5051