To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
English Language Level 1 / 2 Certificate
WJEC is delighted to announce that recent communications from the Department for Education (DfE) have confirmed that the WJEC Level 1/2 Certificates in English Language and English Literature will be recognised in the English Baccalaureate (EBacc performance measure) from 2014.
The impact of this is as follows:
- WJEC Level 1/2 Certificate in English Language is recognised in the EBacc as English Language with the same rules as a GCSE (i.e. that a pupil must have entered both English Language and English Literature and achieved a C or better in English Language);
- WJEC Level 1/2 Certificate in English Literature is recognised in the EBacc only if taken with an acceptable English Language qualification [as above].
Centres may opt to take GCSE English Language with Level 1/2 Certificate English Literature or vice versa, or choose to take language and literature qualifications with different awarding organisations.
Decisions relating to performance measures from 2017 will be made by DfE in the light of the recent consultation on secondary accountability.
Key features of the qualification include:
- Linear assessment
- External assessment only in reading, writing and English Literature
- An interesting and fresh list of prescribed texts
- Assessment based on the well-tried and popular WJEC model
- Skills based examinations which give a great deal of flexibility in teaching
- Easily accessible and responsive subject support
- Clear, unfussy structure and administration
Specifications and Specimen Assessment Materials
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Language specification
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Literature specification
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Language specimen assessment materials
- Level 1 / Level 2 Certificate in English Literature specimen assessment materials
Teacher Guidance and Resources
Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
For further information, please contact:
Julia Harrison - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5074
Charlotte Dix - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5051