To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Project and Extended Project
The Foundation, Higher and Extended Project are qualifications at levels 1, 2 and 3, available to students in Wales and England as free standing qualifications. They provide students with an opportunity to carry out a study in depth, based on personal interest or an aspect of a subject they are studying. Learners are supported throughout the process by a supervisor and a teaching and learning programme, which will empower them with the knowledge, understanding and skills required for success. The Extended Project is the equivalent of half an A level and attracts up to 70 points in the UCAS tariff.
These qualifications offer centres flexible timetabling options. Learners will have more choice over their studies than ever and an opportunity to develop useful transferable skills.
Project title approvals
Centres are required to submit their project titles for approval by WJEC in the first year of delivery. For information on deadline dates, please see the project title approval key dates.
Online Project title approver training
This is aimed at anyone working with learners following a Project Qualification at any of the three levels (Extended, Higher or Foundation).
- Become your centre's Project title approver.
- Train at your own convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much teaching and learning time is involved?
|Guided Learning Hours||Teaching and Learning Programme|
|Foundation Project (Level 1)||60||At least 30 hours|
|Higher Project (Level 2)||60||At least 30 hours|
|Extended Project (Level 3)||120||At least 45 hours|
2. What are the possible choices for Foundation, Higher or Extended Projects?
- Written project - e.g. research into an historical, political, sociological, economic or cultural issue or perhaps a fictional work, film or theatre script
- Field study - an investigation based on data e.g. in a geographical context
- Scientific report based on research or experimentation
- Media based submission e.g. CD Rom or DVD
- Production of an art work or artefact e.g. sculpture, photography
- Design project eg. construction
- Performance-based activity e.g. role in drama production, film
- Vocationally-based study e.g. workplace innovation, business plan
- Sport or leisure-based study e.g. coaching, performance, skills analysis
Why choose WJEC?
A full range of personal, online and printed support will be provided by WJEC, including opportunities for formative assessment. Experienced WJEC practitioners will be available to visit centres to offer advice on project design and development, and specialist WJEC staff will also be able to discuss any queries by telephone.
If you would like to find out more about how your students can benefit from the Foundation, Higher or Extended Project, contact:
Telephone: 029 2026 5191