To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Media Studies GCSE
The current specification is assessed by examination (40%) and by work internally assessed and externally moderated (60%).
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Media Studies qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
Continuing Professional Development
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
WJEC linear GCSE Media Studies approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Media Studies has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
• linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
• existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
GCSE Media Studies for teachers and centres new to GCSE Media Studies
- London: Tuesday 04 June 2013, 9.30am - 3.30pm
- Specimen Assessment Materials
- Teachers' Guide
- Key Dates 2012-2013
- Unitised Assessment Regulations
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for unitised specifications
Bulletins & Circulars
- Circular No. 5 - September 2012
- Bulletin - January 2013
- Bulletin - September 2012
- Bulletin - Winter 2012
- Bulletin - October 2011
- Bulletin - Winter 2011
Please note that exemplar material for Unit 2 Controlled Assessment is available on the WJEC Secure Website in the following location:
Resources PDF Download - CPD (INSET) Materials - GCSE Media Studies - GCSE Media Studies Exemplar Material
If you require any audio-visual exemplars, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Marks Submission System - Centre Guidelines
- ME2 Form
- ME3 Form
- Generic Guidance on Controlled Assessment
- Subject Specific Information on Controlled Assessment
- Past papers, marking schemes and resources are available free of charge to teachers on our secure website.
- Further resources are also available through our online shop.
- WJEC GCSE Media Studies Course Book (bookshop link).
- NGfL Resources
Uniform marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks
Item Level Data
Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations.