To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Media Studies GCSE
The current specification is assessed by examination (40%) and by work internally assessed and externally moderated (60%).
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Media Studies qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
NEW TELEVISION CRIME DRAMA RESOURCE
A new resource to support teaching of the Unit 1 Section A examination topic, Television Crime Drama, is now available on our Educational Resources website under ‘Media Studies KS4’. The resource covers all areas of the Media Studies framework (Texts, Audiences and Organisations) and includes a range of contemporary case studies.
2016 Unit 1 Topic
The Unit 1 topic for assessment in 2016 is now available in the online specification.
Moving Image Awards
WJEC's Moving Image Awards is a new and exciting competition designed to recognise the best moving image productions made by students aged 14-19 at schools and colleges offering WJEC qualifications.
Principal Examiners' Report
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
Continuing Professional Development
Examination review will be provided online. A presentation giving details of this provision is now available on the website.
Unit 1 Examination Topics
As detailed in the online specification, the unit 1 exam topic for June 2014 is TV Crime Drama for section A and TV Drama magazines (e.g. TV Times etc.) for section B. The resource material for section A will be provided in audio-visual format.
For 2014 no TV Drama based productions may be submitted for unit 2 controlled assessment. Magazine productions are permitted provided they are not based on the topic of TV Drama.
As detailed in the online specification, the unit 1 exam topic for June 2015 is Print Advertising for section A and TV Advertising for section B. The resource material for section A will be provided in print format.
For 2015, the following productions are not permitted, as they are based on the unit 1 topic of Advertising and Marketing:
• Music video
• Film or TV trailer
• Film/TV/music poster campaign
WJEC linear GCSE Media Studies approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Media Studies has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
• linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
• existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Specimen Assessment Materials
- Teachers' Guide
- Key Dates 2013-2014
- Unitised Assessment Regulations
- Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for unitised specifications
Bulletins & Circulars
- Bulletin - October 2013
- Circular No. 5 - September 2012
- Bulletin - January 2013
- Bulletin - September 2012
- Bulletin - Winter 2012
- Bulletin - October 2011
- Bulletin - Winter 2011
Please note that exemplar material for Unit 2 Controlled Assessment is available on the WJEC Secure Website in the following location:
Resources PDF Download - CPD (INSET) Materials - GCSE Media Studies - GCSE Media Studies Exemplar Material
If you require any audio-visual exemplars, please contact email@example.com
- New Marks Submission System - Centre Guidelines
- ME2 Form
- ME3 Form
- Generic Guidance on Controlled Assessment
- Subject Specific Information on Controlled Assessment
- Past papers, marking schemes and resources are available free of charge to teachers on our secure website.
- Further resources are also available through our online shop.
- WJEC GCSE Media Studies Course Book (bookshop link).
Uniform marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks
Item Level Data
Presentation explaining the use of item level data from WJEC examinations.