To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
GCSE Science B
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCSE Science B qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
GCSE Science B is an exciting new science qualification offered by WJEC. It offers an alternative context led approach to the delivery of science, as opposed to the more concept led GCSE Science A qualification. The qualification introduces Science in two units through five themes:
Unit 1 Space, Energy and Life
- Our Changing World
- Exploring Space
- Energy for Supporting Lifestyles
Unit 2 Science and Life in the Modern World
- Chemicals for a purpose
- Science for Healthy Living
Can learners do both GCSE Science A and GCSE Science B?
No. Learners should do either GCSE Science A or GCSE Science B. The two Specifications are developed from the same GCSE criteria even though they approach the science in quite different ways.
The pre-release material for Unit 1 January 2014 examination is now available.
WJEC linear GCSE Science B approved.
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE Specifications to make the assessment linear
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE Specification in Science B has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear Specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE Specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- Linear Specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams
at the end of the course.
- Existing unitised Specifications, where assessment may be taken in separate units at
stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised Specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Principal Examiners’ Report.
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
The pre-release material for Unit 1 June 5th 2013 examination is now available.
Dates for internal assessment standardising Continuing Proffesional Development (CPD) for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
GCSE Science B Unit 1 - 16th January 2014.
GCSE Science B Unit 2 - 14th January 2014.
Please follow this link to obtain the Raw / UMS grade boundaries.
For further information, please contact:
Brian Harris - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5147
Sarah Price - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5103