To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Travel and Tourism GCE AS/A
About This Qualification
The specification aims to help students understand the different elements which make up the tourism industry:
- host communities
Students will learn about the wider ethical, social and cultural dimensions of tourism, and they will understand its impact on the environment and the importance of sustainable development.
WJEC remains committed to offering the GCE Travel and Tourism specification as a single or double award for the foreseeable future.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE Travel and Tourism qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
The specification has a very high level of satisfaction amongst centres that already offer the course.
Main features of the specification:
- Maximum of eight units to achieve a GCE Double Award
- Assessment weightings throughout are 60% internal assessment and 40% external assessment
- Single AS and A level awards both provide a choice of units to study
For centres we offer:
- An AS and A level structure which is aligned with the non-applied GCE structure in order to assist curriculum planning
- A manageable AS and A level specification which can be delivered in the time available
- Clear structure and content
- The opportunity to study Welsh travel and tourism organisations
For students we offer the opportunity to:
- Develop new skills in a people-focused industry
- Learn about the travel and tourism industry in Wales and the United Kingdom
- Study different tourist destinations
- Consider a career in travel and tourism
Grade Boundaries (UMS/Raw Marks)
Principal Examiners’ Report
The latest Principal Examiners' report is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
Continuing Professional Development
The internal assessment standardising continuing professional development 2013-2014 will take place online. More information will follow as soon as it is available.
CPD materials are available on our secure website (Resources PDF Download, CPD materials).
- Click here for new Sustainable Tourism case studies and Tourism Development in Jordan and Grand Cayman.
- Coursework Forms are now available online.
- Travel & Tourism Websites & Information
- Click here for a new on-line free resource.
- Support materials and resources are available on the Welsh Government Hwb.
- Further information on how GCE Travel & Tourism could help with delivery of WBQ Level 3 is available here.
For further information, please contact:
Michael Neale - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5315
Clare Williams - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5059