To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Travel & Tourism GCE AS/A
The specification aims to help students understand the different elements which make up the tourism industry: customers, stakeholders, technology, destinations and host communities. Students will learn about the wider ethical, social and cultural dimensions of tourism, and they will understand its impact on the environment and the importance of sustainable development.
WJEC remains committed to offering the GCE Travel and Tourism specification as a single or double award for the foreseeable future.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE Travel and Tourism qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
The specification has a very high level of satisfaction amongst centres that already offer the course.
Main features of the specification:
- Maximum of eight units to achieve a GCE Double Award
- Assessment weightings throughout are 60% internal assessment and 40% external assessment
- Single AS and A level awards both provide a choice of units to study
For centres we offer:
- An AS and A level structure which is aligned with the non-applied GCE structure in order to assist curriculum planning
- A manageable AS and A level specification which can be delivered in the time available
- Clear structure and content
- The opportunity to study Welsh travel and tourism organisations
For students we offer the opportunity to:
- Develop new skills in a people-focused industry
- Learn about the travel and tourism industry in Wales and the United Kingdom
- Study different tourist destinations
- Consider a career in travel and tourism
As with all WJEC subject specifications, we offer friendly, accessible specialist advice and guidance at the end of a phone or by e-mail.
Travel & Tourism and WBQ
Further information on how GCE Travel & Tourism could help with delivery of WBQ Level 3 is available here.
- Click here for new Sustainable Tourism case studies and Tourism Development in Jordan and Grand Cayman.
- Raw/UMS grade boundaries for January 2012 are available online.
- Coursework Forms are now available online.
- Travel & Tourism Websites & Information
- A wide range of support materials for the current specification are available free of charge via NGfL Cymru.
- Click here for a new on-line free resource.
Continuing Professional Development
Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
CPD materials are available on our secure website (Resources PDF Download, CPD materials).
For further information, please contact:
Michael Neale - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5315
Clare Williams - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5059