To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Design and Technology GCSE
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCE and GCSE Design and Technology qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
Principal Examiners' Report
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
This prestigious event is a showcase exhibition and competition for the most innovative project work at A level and GCSE in Design & Technology.
WJEC linear GCSE Design and Technology approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Design and Technology has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specifications here.
- All centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
The controlled assessment briefs for 2013/2014 are now available.
New Specification Resources
Free interactive resources that follow the new GCSE Specifications in Design and Technology.
Unitised Specifications - GCSE
Video explaining entry and re-sit rules for GCSE unitised specifications:
Unitised Specifications - GCSE video
Uniform Marks (UMS)
Information on how raw marks are converted to uniform marks may be found in the following document - Uniform Marks.
- Teachers' Guide Food Technology
- Teachers' Guide Graphic Products
- Teachers' Guide Resistant Materials
- Teachers' Guide Systems and Control
- Teachers' Guide Textiles Technology
- Teachers' Guide Product Design
- CAT Workbook/CAT Briefs/CAT Marksheets
A GCSE course in Design and Technology offers an opportunity for candidates to identify and solve real problems by designing and making products or systems in a wide range of contexts relating to their personal interests.
As a fundamental part of their course, candidates should design and make products.
Design and Technology develops candidates’ interdisciplinary skills, all six of the key skills, and their capacity for imaginative, innovative thinking, creativity and independence.
For further information, please contact:
Steve Howells - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5017
Rhodri Jenkins - Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5118