To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
GCSE Chemistry is one of WJEC’s new Science specifications, which aims to help teachers find a clear and user-friendly way through the requirements of the GCSE Science criteria.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCSE Chemistry qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
- Dates for internal assessment standardising CPD for the next academic year will be published shortly. Examination review will be provided online; further details will be issued in due course.
- The legacy Science specifications are being offered for certification for the last time in January 2013. Therefore all entries for the June 2013 series are relevant to the new Science specifications only.
WJEC linear GCSE Science approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Science has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. You may view the revised specification here.
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- Linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- Existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- Please follow this link to obtain the Raw / UMS grade boundaries.
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Further resources are available through our online Shop.
- Click here to view a list of terms in English and Welsh to support the Chemistry elements of the new GCSE specifications.
- The Controlled Assessment sample must reach the Moderator by the 5 May 2014.
- Internal assessment practical tasks for 2013-2014 are available from the Secure Website in English and Welsh.
For further information, please contact:
Jonathan Owen - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5057
Lowri Evans - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5140