To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Principal Examiners’ Report
The Principal Examiners' report, providing feedback on the summer 2013 series of examinations, is now available. Centres are advised to read the report carefully as it provides helpful observations and commentary on the work produced for this series and can assist teachers in preparing their students for the next series of examinations.
WJEC provides, and will continue to provide, GCSE Chemistry qualifications which meet the needs of teachers and the requirements of regulators in both England and Wales.
GCSE Science controlled assessment CPD video and linked resources.
A video is now available for Additional Science / Biology / Chemistry / Physics.
The video provides detailed feedback on key findings from the moderation process in summer 2013 and includes linked resources.
Techniquest in conjunction with WJEC will be holding the following events in March 2014:
Event Title: I’m new to science teaching – how can I improve my teaching to help my pupils when faced with controlled assessment / examinations during KS4?
For more information and to book please use the following links:
The planned programme of face-to-face Continuing Professional Development for 2013 has been cancelled and will be replaced by online provision. This will cover the standardising of internally-assessed tasks and provide a detailed review of all components, including exemplar work and moderator/examiner comments.
WJEC linear GCSE Science approved
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specification in Science has been approved by the regulators.
The subject content remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- All centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
- In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- Linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- Existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case.
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
- Please follow this link to find Raw / UMS grade boundaries.
- Past papers and marking schemes are available free of charge to teaching staff on our Secure Website.
- Further resources are available through our online Shop.
- Click here to view a list of terms in English and Welsh to support the Chemistry elements of the GCSE specifications.
- The Controlled Assessment sample must reach the Moderator by 5 May 2014.
- Internal assessment practical tasks for 2013-2014 are available from the Secure Website in English and Welsh.
For further information, please contact:
Jonathan Owen - Subject Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5057
Lowri Evans - Subject Support Officer
Telephone: 029 2026 5140