Severe Weather Questions and Answers
- (a) If our centre is closed due to the poor weather conditions, may we make alternative arrangements for examination candidates to sit their exams in centres which are more easily accessible?
Yes, it is acceptable to use alternative locations, provided your arrangements with the other centre ensure the proper conduct of the examinations for the candidates affected (see note below).
(b) In such circumstances, can we make alternative arrangements for candidates to sit their exams at premises which are not normally examination centres (e.g. leisure centres / community halls)?
Yes, it is acceptable to use such alternative locations, provided you are able to ensure the proper conduct of the examinations for the candidates affected (see note below).
- If our centre is closed when examinations are scheduled, and we have been unable to make alternative arrangements, what should we do?
If you have candidates entered for examination units which are available in subsequent examination series, you should enter them for the next available series, in May/June.
If the units for which candidates have been entered are not available again (i.e. an older unit, because the specification will have changed), you should apply for Special Consideration for those candidates only, provided minimum requirements are met.
Your centre Examinations Officer should have the correct forms to be used to apply for Special Consideration, or they can be downloaded from the JCQ website.
- If our centre is open, but some candidates are unable to reach it because of dangerous travel conditions, what can we do for them?
In this case, there are two options:
in exceptional circumstances, which also need to be confirmed by the head of centre or a senior manager, an individual candidate may take an examination at home, provided the proper conduct of the examination can be assured, in particular appropriate independent invigilation arrangements and security of the question paper (see note below)
action as in point 2 above, provided the head of centre or a senior manager is able to confirm the circumstances preventing individual candidates from reaching the centre
- If I have further queries about examination arrangements, whom should I contact?
Please contact our GCSE department on email@example.com or GCE department on firstname.lastname@example.org
- If I have queries about the entry procedures, whom should I contact?
Please contact our Entries department, on email@example.com
- We are running our examinations, but I am afraid that candidates may be late. What are the arrangements in that case?
Please follow the standard late arrivals procedure in this case – see page 20, JCQ Instructions for conducting examinations
Please see the JCQ website for the Instructions for Conducting Examinations which apply to all awarding organisations concerning the conduct of examinations.