WJEC linear GCSEs approved
28 June 2012
In common with other awarding organisations, WJEC was recently asked to revise GCSE specifications to make the assessment linear.
We are pleased to announce that WJEC linear GCSE specifications have been approved by the regulators.
The subject content of most GCSE specifications remains exactly the same. The only difference is that in linear specifications all examinations must be taken at the end of the course. Please visit the relevant GCSE subject page to view revised specifications.
The only exceptions are GCSE History, English Literature, Religious Studies, and Geography, where some modifications to all awarding bodies’ papers have been made to accommodate the assessment of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Please see the news item on spelling, punctuation and grammar assessment changes for further details.
Across all awarding bodies there will also be some “strengthening” of the assessment in GCSE Geography in 2014, and in GCSE History and English Literature in 2015. Further details of these changes will be posted on the website shortly.
Detailed leaflets explaining the changes to GCSEs are available here:
- ALL centres in England will be required to use linear GCSE specifications from first award in 2014 (first teaching of two-year courses in September 2012).
In Wales, centres will be able to choose to follow either of the two options available for courses starting from September 2012:
- linear specifications (first award summer 2014), where candidates sit all their exams at the end of the course
- existing unitised specifications where assessment may be taken in separate units at stages during the course as is currently the case
- WJEC is offering both linear and unitised specifications.
- The content of the two options is the same; the only difference is that in linear assessment all examinations must be taken at the end of the course.
Dafydd Wyn - Communcations Officer
029 2026 5102 email@example.com
Hugh Lester - Assistant Director (Business Development)
029 2026 5379 firstname.lastname@example.org