Severe Weather Questions and Answers
1. (a) If our centre is closed due to the poor weather conditions, may we make alternative arrangements for examination candidates to sit their exams in centres which are more easily accessible?
Yes, it is acceptable to use alternative locations, provided your arrangements with the other centre ensure the proper conduct of the examinations for the candidates affected (see 'General Information' below).
(b) In such circumstances, can we make alternative arrangements for candidates to sit their exams at premises which are not normally examination centres (e.g. leisure centres / community halls)?
Yes, it is acceptable to use such alternative locations, provided you are able to ensure the proper conduct of the examinations for the candidates affected (see 'General Information' below).
2. If our centre is closed when examinations are scheduled, and we have been unable to make alternative arrangements, or our centre is open but some candidates are unable to reach it because of dangerous travel conditions, what should we do?
If you have candidates who are unable to sit the examination and are entered for non-terminal examination units which are available in subsequent examination series, you should enter them for the next available series.
Where such candidates are entered for terminal (final) examinations, applications for Special Consideration may be made, provided minimum requirements are met (please see the published criteria indicated in the JCQ publication 'Access Arrangements and Reasonable Adjustments').
Examinations Officers may apply for such Special Consideration, using the relevant online system, accessible via the Centre secure website.
3. If I have further queries about examination arrangements, whom should I contact?
Please contact our GCSE department on email@example.com or GCE department on firstname.lastname@example.org
4. If I have queries about the entry procedures, whom should I contact?
Please contact our Entries department, on email@example.com
5. We are running our examinations, but I am afraid that candidates may be late. What are the arrangements in that case?
Please follow the standard late arrivals procedure in this case - see JCQ Instructions for conducting examinations.
Please see the JCQ website for the Instructions for Conducting Examinations which apply to all awarding organisations concerning the conduct of examinations.